Establish a career with one of SA’s pioneering renewable energy companies
Genesis Eco-Energy Developments, one of South Africa’s leading renewable energy development companies is hiring a Head of Project Management Services to join its team in Cape Town.
You will be part of a team that is developing 5,5GW+ of renewable energy projects in South and Southern Africa – on-shore and off-shore wind, solar PV, storage, bio- energy, hydro and grid solutions. Though your focus is on large scale projects you will also provide guidance and support to the Embedded Generation team.
If you want to be part of a group that has helped lead, shape and drive the renewables sector since 2001 then this the team to be part of. Our entrepreneurial results-oriented culture enables quick decision-making, encourages a hands-on approach, a high degree of adaptability and flexibility, as well as personal accountability, and provides exceptional opportunities for professional and personal growth, across the Genesis Group of companies. It provides an opportunity for an experienced forward-thinking and creative professional, who is passionate about making a difference to our world, to be part of a company with a purpose.
As a seasoned and experienced project developer with a strong track record of delivery, you will manage a range of project development activities in support of our field teams, from land securement support, screening, GIS, project design, environmental screening and assessment, resource assessment programmes, engineering and permitting tasks throughout the project development lifecycle from inception to commercial readiness for Genesis projects. Working with our field development team members you’ll help refine and polish the gems.
You are confident, articulate, tenacious, achievement oriented and work in a flexible manner to achieve results. You are fluent in both written and verbal English you can speak at least one of the other official South African languages. You are a personable, competent team leader capable of achieving results, but when required can work independently, with minimal supervision. Flexibility is critical, as is the willingness to regularly visit sites and comfortably work with a range of stakeholders from land owners, community groups through to Government agencies and authorities, service providers and finance houses.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
As head of project management services and senior member of the development team, you will be responsible for managing and overseeing all phases of the Project Development process from assessment of the opportunity, (due diligence, feasibility study, investment memorandum, budgets) through to delivering a portfolio of fully permitted projects.
Specific KPIs include, but are not limited to:
• Assisting the land acquisition team with Initial site screening, constraints analysis and site feasibility assessments;
• Lead team members and external consultants on resource assessments (solar, wind, storage), design and grid connection considerations;
• Coordination of efforts in relation to land rights acquisition, including negotiation with landowners (prospecting or land acquisition processes), rezoning and permitting processes, water use rights, and other necessary permits;
• Coordination of environmental permitting processes (BA, EIA);
• Ensuring legal compliance with environmental, permitting and related legislation;
• Support the technical and business development teams throughout the project development process;
• Full cost management (internal and external) in accordance with defined budgets;
• Keep abreast of renewable energy and wider power market developments, monitoring market activities in the RE sector and identifying potential opportunities for, and threats to, the company’s strategy through participation in industry association working groups;
• Keeping up to date with the latest requirements and legislation around the RE sector particularly in relation to permitting regulations, new environmental (incl water and waste, biodiversity offsets, de- commissioning) regulations, and ensuring Genesis development best of breed solutions to mitigate project risks;
• Guide and manage a project development support team ensuring project development support services to project managers are delivered i.e. resource measurement campaigns, GIS support, EIA’s and permitting acquisition, project tracking and management;
• Develop and maintain sound relations with Eskom, permitting authorities, local authorities and service providers to ensure projects are delivered on time, innovative grid connection solutions are developed for projects;
• Work closely with owners engineers, OEM’s and EPC providers to ensure proper specs are provided and project financial modelling is accurate;
• Produce weekly/month project progress reports for senior management;
• Able to manage a team of technical and development specialists.
Qualifications and Certification:
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline – an Honours or higher will be an advantage;
• Sound experience in managing the full life cycle of project development and permitting (3 to 5 years) – site screening and selection, EIA/BA, ecological assessments, environmental management, project permitting applications (WUL, SPLUMA, et) and close out;
• Registration with ECSA or other relevant professional bodies (EAPASA, etc) is highly advantageous;
• PMI Certification, or current study toward certification is a distinct advantage.
Position: Head of Project Management Services
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Salary: Negotiable, based on experience and qualifications
Type of employment: Permanent, Employment Equity aligned
Closing Date: 8th August 2022
To apply, please forward your CV and a short motivation to the Managing Director, Genesis Eco-Energy Developments at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Reference: HOMS 07/22